- RESEARCHER RESOURCES
- Regulatory Knowledge and Support Program
- Pilot and Collaborative Studies Funding Program
- Community Partnership for Health (CPH)
- Biomedical Informatics
- Clinical and Translational Science Unit (CTSU)
- Translational Technologies Resource Center (TTRC)
- Personalized Medicine and Outcomes Center-PMOC
- Institute for Advancing Medical Innovation (IAMI)
- Ethics Program
- Evaluation Program
- ADVISORY STRUCTURE
- CITE US
What is REDCap?
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web-based application designed exclusively to support data capture for research studies.
1. an intuitive interface for data entry (with data validation)
2. audit trails for tracking data manipulation and export procedures
3. automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R)
4. procedures for importing data from external sources
5. advanced features, such as branching logic and calculated fields.
The REDCap project (http://project-redcap.org/) was developed by Vanderbilt University and includes more than 400 active institutional partners. It supports a web-based application (REDCap) designed exclusively to support data capture for research studies. Currently over 40,000 studies spanning numerous research areas utilize REDCap.
Through the Division of Biostatistics, Department of Biostatistics, consultation is offered to the researcher to determine if a REDCap database is appropriate for the researchers study.
A brief description of the REDCap Database Creation Process
STEP 1. LEARN
Submit a Project Registration Request at http://biostat-pts.kumc.edu/eres/jsp/kumcpr.jsp to request a meeting to learn more about REDCap. Once your meeting is scheduled this will be a face to face between an informatics staff member(s) and the investigator and his/her staff. The meeting centers around the timeline and data requirements for the study.
STEP 2. DEFINE
After the meeting, the investigator and his/her staff define their data variables and their properties
STEP 3. CREATE
The investigator and his/her staff create their REDCap database online (https://redcap.kumc.edu) as you go or upload the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Any questions or concerns should be directed to KUMC REDCap Support
STEP 4. PREVIEW
Preview your REDCap database content online, add study member(s) permissions and test functionality.
STEP 5. REVISE
Revise your REDCap database if any changes are needed.
STEP 6. LAUNCH
After review by our team your REDCap database will be launched into production. The investigator and his/her staff are now able to enter the necessary data for their study.
KUMC REDCap Support