REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, HIPAA compliant web-based application designed exclusively to support data capture for research studies. REDCap is a self-supported centralized electronic data capture (EDC) tool intended to replace Microsoft Excel and Access. RedCap is used for investigator driven studies where the Principal Investigator takes responsibility for the data model. RedCap can also be used for longitudinal database needs.
REDCap does not prevent acquisition of data that is out of range. It provides warning messages regarding out-of-range values but these can be overridden. So studies with high data integrity needs should be managed in CRIS.
Since REDCap does not support billing, all centralized research studies with billing needs should be managed using CRIS.
CRIS is a secure CFR Part 11 compliant clinical trial management system (CTMS). Informatics provides initial consultation and following services for CRIS projects:
- Study protocol evaluation and data capture assessment
- Budget proposal for informatics and data management
- Electronic Case Report Form (eCRF) design and creation
- Custom database development and data integration
- Data verification; data query and data discrepancy management
- Reporting for study management, safety, analysis
- Data extraction for statistical analysis
- End user support and training